Trauma Tree

Trauma Tree: Grief and Medical Issues in Art therapy
ETC Level:Cognitive, Symbolic, Affective
MDV Level: Structured, Simple
Materials
8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper, markers
Procedures
1. Draw a tree trunk.
2. Add one branch for each loss/ grieved event in your life.
3. Brainstorm the positives that have resulted from each grieved event. These positives may include any gains, strengths, insights, etc. Consider the following questions: How have I grown? What have I learned about myself? Write each positive in a separate leaf extending from the branch.
Rationale
This intervention serves to help individuals recognize the strengths and personal growth that have resulted from each grieved event. The trauma tree will also give the therapist insight into the number of losses and the degree of difficulty that the individual has experienced. The therapist will also develop a greater understanding of the person’s outlook on life and his or her ability to cope with difficulties.
Adaptations
This intervention could be modified through the utilization of different materials, i.e. modeling clay, paper mache, paint, pipe cleaners, etc. If a person has experienced one significant loss, and would like to focus on it alone, the tree trunk could represent the loss, and the branches could represent the positives that have resulted from the loss. Then leaves, flowers, birds, etc. could represent coping strategies and methods of self-care.

1 comment:

Nigel Fisher said...

I first used a concept which I named in the same terms in 2002. I realized then that it was very likely such creative means of identifying a variety of issues stemming from what may have been a traumatic event or events, may well be in use. In fact one of the many trauma victims I have spoken with, did seem to identify this method as having been used at a drug/alc rehab.
I must congratulate you on giving focus to the positive aspect.It is something achieved by so many when recovering from one of lifes less fortunate episodes.
It has been by realizing that the best route to recovery from setbacks the PTSD which I have suffered from for more than 20 years makes me more susceptible to, is to identify a positive aspect, even if it is only that an experience may be avoided in the future. Indeed I can say that the time between a setbacks impact and recovery have become defined by how long it takes me to remember what I must do. This and the employment of appropriate coping and defence mechanisms have been the key issues in enabling myself to gain an improved quality of life.
Unfortunately advise and assistance - even diagnosis in the UK is so rarely available.
Thank you for making such usefull information available.
Nigel Fisher.