100 Things I like about me

100 Things I Like About Me: Applied Methods
ETC Level
: A - C
MDV Level: R - HC - S
Materials: 2 or 3 pieces of 8.5 X11 paper something to write with
Procedures
1. At top of paper, write "What I Like About Me..." or "I Like Myself Because I..." 2. List 100 things you like about yourself. (Items can be duplicated.) 3. Therapist checks in every 15 minutes. 4. After 100 things have been listed, look for themes, for example: personal relationships, career, things you do... 4. Ask processing questions, such as: What was number 1? What themes did you notice?
Rationale
It is good for clients to realize that listing 100 things you like about yourself is not as difficult as they would think, and is an accomplishable task. This intervention encourages clients to realize that it is okay to like things about themselves, that it doesn't make them narcissistic or conceited. 100 Things I Like About Me is good for high functioning individuals (more so than groups, because some may finish much earlier than others). Often the things that clients like about themselves may also be areas in which they have issues. This intervention helps identify conflicts clients may want to work on.

Adaptations
With cancer patients: 100 things I appreciate about having cancer OR 100 things I've learned since having cancer in one of the final sessions with a client. Start with just listing ten or twenty in one session, and then list another ten or twenty in following sessions.

No comments: