Who Am I?

Who Am I?: adapted from The Creative Journal for Children by Cathy Malchiodi
Materials: paper of any size and variety of drawing utensils
Procedure: Ask client to draw a picture of him/herself. If client feels threatened by the task of creating a realistic self-portrait, rephrase the directive to use only line, shape, and color. Once the drawing is completed, ask the client to write a short poem entitled "I am..." Encourage client to use descriptive words to explain who he/she is.
Rationale: This intervention helps the client solidify his/her perception of self. The therapist is able to increase an understanding of the client's perception of self and identify faulty cognitions. Often times, the client's perception of self is a reflection of his or her environment and supports.
Adaptations: If client is unable or unwilling to write the reflective poem, the client can list descriptors. This intervention may precede other interventions such as: How I see myself, How others see me or Affirmation dolls.

No comments: